Tuesday, June 23, 2015

Day 288...Creating an Outline for a Best Selling Novel














Welcome to Day 288...

And creating an outline that just might lead to a best seller...

Like the one New York Times best selling author Janet Evanovich uses.  

For me and my  #busywriterslife, I'm always looking for smart ways to simply and organize my days.

Recently, I stumbled across an old blog post from Writer's Digest which spotlighted Ms. Evanovich's unique take on the outlining process...

A more visual and simple "story board" process.  Here's how Evanovich describes it...

"Storyboarding is a little more visual. When I’m plotting out a book, I use a storyboard—I’ll have maybe three lines across on the storyboard and just start working through the plot line. I always know where relationships will go, and how the book is going to end. When I storyboard, they’re just fragments of thoughts. I write in three acts like a movie, so I have my plot points up on the preliminary storyboard. Another board I keep is an action timeline. It’s a way of quickly referring to what happened a couple of scenes ago. The boards cover my office walls."

Here's a sample of her storyboard from her best selling book Twelve Sharp...

How to Outline (the Easy Way) Like Janet Evanovich

Simple. Focused and it's a great visual.  

This structure is easy on the eyes, and gives you a whole lot of the plot development on just one page.

Love the storyboard outline and will be so using it for my next book.  In the meantime...

Here's the full post from Writer's Digest...http://www.writersdigest.com/editor-blogs/there-are-no-rules/how-to-outline-the-easy-way-like-janet-evanovich

And...

Here's Today's Takeaway Lesson...


"Make It Simple But Significant"  Don Draper

Here's to Being All In,


Maggie 


Follow me on Twitter @AuthorMaggie #busywriterslife
Visit my website @ www.maggiecollins.net
Like me on Facebook Maggie Collins


365 Days & Counting...


No comments:

Post a Comment